PAI's website was old. The site didn't reflect the breadth of their initiatives, and the structure made it hard for people without a technical background to find and engage with PAI's resources. On top of that, PAI was in the midst of a visual brand update, which wasn't reflected on the website. It was time for a fresh approach.
Teal reimagined the experience of PAI's website, centering it around their primary audience, and elevating the stories of the individuals who most directly benefit from PAI's work. Our solution strikes a balance between conveying emotion to drive engagement, and offering tangible information and resources to push the work forward.
An experience centered around audience needs
We began by focusing on PAI’s target audiences. Their primary website audience includes potential new allies, supporters, and donors, who care strongly about the individuals directly impacted by barriers to reproductive rights, health services, & supplies. Knowing this, we focused the website on the people PAI supports. Our wireframes planned for large, vivid photography of individuals and descriptive captions about their story to bring their experience to life online.
But we couldn’t forget PAI’s secondary audience of policymakers and advocacy partners, who need quick access to critical resources and information. To help them easily find these resources, we streamlined the navigation and clarified the way PAI talks about their work. We also elevated key resources within the primary navigation channels to make sure partners and advocacy organizations had quick access to the most timely and relevant tools.
Our Discovery and Planning phase led us to plan for a website that:
- Focuses the experience on the primary target audience — potential supporters, allies, and donors
- Conveys emotion to motivate new supporters, while still providing critical tools and information that partners and technical providers need to support their work on the ground
- Better tells the story of who PAI is, what they do, and why their work matters to people around the globe
- Provides evidence that the PAI approach gets results
- Demonstrates the ‘what,’ ‘how,’ 'who,' and 'why' of PAI’s work through personal stories of impact
- Maintains the technical integrity of PAI’s programmatic work and expertise in advocacy, analysis, and research
Check out these before/after shots to see how Teal transformed the way PAI tells their story of impact
Teal Media is a woman-owned full-service creative agency based in Washington, DC. We offer UX research, web design & development, brand strategy, and creative support to mission-driven and nonprofit partners. We believe purposeful design can transform organizations, inspire action, and enable progress.