Senior UX/UI Designer
Teal Media is seeking a fully remote Senior UX/UI Designer for a full-time position (will consider contract as well).
As a collaborative member of our team, you will craft the overall visual experience of web-based projects for high-profile social impact clients tackling big challenges in health, education, climate, and social justice.
Working closely under the direction of the Creative Director and Art Directors, you will produce visually engaging design deliverables to fulfill the creative vision for a project. These design deliverables will include sitemaps, wireframes, full-fidelity visual comps, UI component libraries, and custom graphics.
- Ideal Location: Remote (U.S. Residents only)
- Salary Range: $85K-$100K (pending experience)
- Click here to apply
Who We Are
Teal Media is a full-service creative and design agency with a conscience. We believe purposeful design can transform organizations, inspire action, and enable progress. Our clients and nonprofit partners commit their lives to creating positive social change. We pour every ounce of our passion and skill into their success, because we, too, want the world to be a better place. We offer a variety of strategic, creative, and technical services, including brand strategy, web design and development, and creative support.
We are a woman-owned and woman-led firm with a diverse staff. At Teal Media, we value our people above all else, and choose to work with partners and clients who share those beliefs.
This role is under the Creative team. You will report to the Senior Art Director and work closely with the Creative, Content and Development teams.
What You’ll Do
Project work and client engagement (80%)
- Serve as the primary executor of design deliverables on one-off projects and retainers; assist Art Directors in setting the vision for the project for the deliverables to be produced
- Take the lead on design projects with limited input and guidance from Art Directors – working closely with AD’s (and the project team) on initial strategy to inform your in idea generation and execution
- Create dependable intentional solutions that meet audience goals and business objectives
- Decisively edit design iterations that solve client/project goals for formal team reviews in preparation for deliverable presentations.
- Lead presentation of designs concepts/work to client based in a framework to help organizations understand how we meet audience goals, business objectives, and maintenance of what is being produced
- Confidently interact with and guide clients to gain consensus on the strategy through learning sessions, exercises within workshops, and deliverables that are being produced. Thoughtfully advocate for users while keeping clients’ needs in mind
- Implement feedback with an eye for detail and strategic application per briefs
- Juggle multiple priorities knowing when and how to move between projects to meet deadlines
- Communicate and collaborate with internal and external project team members, and bring their unique and fresh perspective to projects
- Take more leadership within client communications and ownership of the visual design phase.
- Provide accurate estimate for work
- Note on retainers
UX/UI specific responsibilities
- Assist with discovery and client/user research on select projects
- Maintain a deep knowledge and understanding of UX best practices and design principles (content strategy, taxonomy, etc.)
- Produce design deliverables (sitemaps, wireframes, full-fidelity visual comps, UI component libraries, custom graphics (static and animated), etc.) as specified by the project
- Document design decisions and formulate development specifications
- Be an expert in component-based design within our Figma setup
Inter-departmental collaboration and project management (10%)
- An expert in time management, meeting delivery dates (internal + presentation, etc.)
- Review deliverables with Art Directors and various project team members with a collaborative mindset, setting meetings, informal/formal reviews, to asking questions and collaborate to get what is needed for a thoughtful pacing of project work
- Bring unique and fresh perspective to projects and actively participate in team brainstorms, calls for inspiration
- Have a showing vs. telling mindset that sets team members up for success and quality collaboration – actively mentor junior designers
- Be willing to help younger designers get better by helping them learn our process/deliverables .
- Confidently navigate interactions whether through email or “in-person” guiding them through deliverables and expected steps in the process so they can make informed decisions.
Facilitate learning and process development (10%)
- Maintain, use and implement process & methodology set forth by the creative team (Figma, Brand, etc.)
- Provide feedback on process and methodology to ensure it is inefficient, and to prevent bottlenecks for project teams & clients
- Create case studies, marketing materials and support teal business development that showcases our work
Ideal Candidates Will Have
- An impressive online portfolio. This will be the most important factor as we evaluate candidates
- At least 4 years of experience in UX/UI design
- Expert understanding of UX best practices and design principles
- Expert-level knowledge of design and business software ( Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Apps, Microsoft Products, etc.)
- Strong understanding of the website design and development process, including working knowledge of: HTML/CSS, taxonomies and content types, open source CMS platforms (WordPress, Drupal), mobile responsive design, accessibility standards, privacy/security standards
- Self-starter, independent thinker, highly responsible
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Thrives working in a fast-paced environment
- Strict attention to detail and adherence to project deadlines
- Agency experience is a plus
- Passionate about mission-driven work
Make a positive impact on mission-driven organizations and nonprofits while working in a fun, collaborative and flexible environment. We’re a nimble, close-knit group that values team work and individual contribution.
All our positions are remote (in the US), but we work to maintain a fun and engaging company culture.
- Work from home (or at the beach!)
- Professional Development Coaching
- Yearly Continuing Education Stipend
- Eligibility for bi-annual bonuses
- Flexible Time Off and Unlimited Sick Leave
- Compassionate Leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Company 401(k) with match
- Flexible working hours
- Flex Fridays – a day dedicated to self-directed work. Spend time working on the things you want – whether it be honing in on your craft or taking off a few hours early for your mental wellness!
Equal Opportunity Employer
If your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed but you believe you would shine in this role, we want to hear from you! Please apply and tell us why you’re the right person for the job.
Black & Indigenous people of color, immigrants, women and femmes, LGBTQI+ individuals, people with disabilities, neurodiverse people, and formerly incarcerated or systems-impacted people are highly encouraged to apply.
Teal Media is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Teal Media encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
Teal Media does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, political affiliation, exercising one’s right to family care and medical leave, medical condition, including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are not offering US visa sponsorship at this time.