Art Director II (Remote)
Teal Media is seeking a fully remote Art Director II for a full-time position (will consider contract as well).
As a collaborative member of our team, you will craft the overall visual experience of web-based projects for high-profile social impact clients tackling big challenges in health, education, climate, and social justice.
Working closely under the direction of the Creative Director and the CCO, you will produce visually engaging design deliverables to fulfill the creative vision for projects, as well as serve as a strategic advisor and thought partner to Creative Directors and CCO.
If you’re looking to be a part of a team that is comprised of talented, mindful people who dedicate themselves to making a difference, please apply here. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Ideal Location: Remote (US residents only)
- Salary Range: $90k-$105k (pending location & experience)
Who we are
Teal Media is a full-service creative and design agency with a conscience. We believe purposeful design can transform organizations, inspire action, and enable progress. Our clients and nonprofit partners commit their lives to creating positive social change. We pour every ounce of our passion and skill into their success, because we, too, want the world to be a better place. We offer a variety of strategic, creative, and technical services, including brand strategy, web design and development, and creative support.
We are a woman-owned and woman-led firm with a diverse staff. At Teal Media, we value our people above all else, and choose to work with partners and clients who share those beliefs.
This role is under the Creative team. You will report to the Creative Director.
What You’ll Do
Creative & Strategic Leadership (75%)
- Lead creative phase to ensure that there is a unified understanding of project vision, goals, requirements, and expectations for the strategy between Designers at the onset of a project
- Curious and expanding deeper understanding of other creative medium of work (animation, brand, video, social, etc.) outside of their focus
- Strategically push innovative and creative ideas forward through every project
- Review deliverables and provide feedback to designers, collaborate and provide hands-on support as needed (being mindful to teach rather than take over)
- Lead presentations and strategically guide client learning sessions, workshops and writing briefs
- Execute on deliverables and know when to bring the right designers and content experts in to support making the work stronger (client and internal)
- Juggle multiple priorities relating to projects, internal work and professional development
- Review documentation and specifications produced by designers to ensure thoroughness and accuracy
- Balance quality with budget and timeline limitations as outlined in scope
Process & Methodology (10%)
- Act as subject matter expertise in their area of focus – pushing our standards on methodology, industry best practice and innovations in implementation
Business Development (10%)
- Actively create case studies, marketing materials and support Teal business development by producing showcases of our work
- Participate in pitches and new business conversations as a representative of a potential project team, having canned answers, talk tracks, etc.
- Evaluate opportunities in projects for upsells
- Look for ways to create new products and service opportunities
People & Culture (5%)
- Establish an open, honest environment for formal and informal design critique sessions. Encourage team participation. Provide constructive feedback.
- Challenge designers to strive for excellence, sharpen skills, and exceed expectations
- Have a showing vs. telling mindset that sets team members up for success and quality collaboration – actively mentor designers
- Mentor and support designers in their technical, conceptual, and time-management skills.
- Manages designers/interns and shows interest in formally mentoring junior designers to grow in their skill and craft in a particular area
Ideal Candidates Will Have
- An impressive online portfolio. This will be the most important factor as we evaluate candidates
- 5+ years of design experience
- 1+ years of management experience
- Expert-level knowledge of design and business software (Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Microsoft Products, Google Apps, etc.)
- Expert-level skills in branding and visual design
- General best-practice website design and development process, including working knowledge of: UX best practices and design principles (content strategy, taxonomy, etc.), open source CMS platforms (WordPress, Drupal), CRM integrations (Salesforce, HubSpot, etc.) mobile responsive design, accessibility standards, privacy/security standards
- Understanding of Digital Marketing services and how it relates to design
- Highly skilled with leading and inspiring creative talent
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
- Strong ability to create and lead client meetings and creative presentations (strong presentation skills)
- Understanding of animation / motion graphics / video development process in order to guide an expert Designer to achieve project goals
- Command of building online movements for social impact causes
- Brings passion, positivity, energy, and enthusiasm to the team
Make a positive impact on mission-driven organizations and nonprofits while working in a fun, collaborative and flexible environment. We’re a nimble, close-knit group that values teamwork and individual contribution.
All our positions are remote (in the US), but we work to maintain a fun and engaging company culture.
- Work from home (or at the beach!)
- Professional Development Coaching
- Yearly Continuing Education Stipend
- Eligibility for bi-annual bonuses
- Flexible Time Off and Unlimited Sick Leave
- Compassionate Leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Company 401(k) with match
- Flexible working hours
- Flex Fridays – a day dedicated to self-directed work. Spend time working on the things you want – whether it be honing in on your craft or taking off a few hours early for your mental wellness!
Equal Opportunity Employer
If your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed but you believe you would shine in this role, we want to hear from you! Please apply and tell us why you’re the right person for the job.
Black & Indigenous people of color, immigrants, women and femmes, LGBTQI+ individuals, people with disabilities, neurodiverse people, and formerly incarcerated or systems-impacted people are highly encouraged to apply.
Teal Media is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Teal Media encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
Teal Media does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, political affiliation, exercising one’s right to family care and medical leave, medical condition, including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are not offering US visa sponsorship at this time.